Monday, April 18, 2011

Bivariate Choropleth

 
I created this map using ArcGIS

This is almost the same exact map I used below as a classed choropleth map except I introduced a second variable.  A bivariate choropleth map basically displays two variables on one map.  Again, the color densities show GDP per capita by state in 2007 with California, Texas, and New York having the highest.  The second variable I added is top national colleges in the states which is shown by the blue triangles.  I chose to display top schools in America and compare it to GDP per state because I wanted to see if there was a relationship between education and productivity.  As you can see from the map, there are many prestigious universities in the top states with highest GDP and the states in the west (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, N and S Dakota) that are among the lowest GDP do not have any universities. I created this map using ArcGIS and downloaded the shapefiles from geocommons.com

No comments:

Post a Comment